Thursday, January 2, 2014

Do you snowshoe?

I'm desperately in need of some good cross-training options.  Sure, I know I can go to the gym and hit the bike or the elliptical or even just walk on the treadmill, but I get there and I just want to run.  I know I'd get more benefit from doing other activities, but I do live in Canada and this time of year it isn't always pleasant or easy to do things in the great outdoors.

Yes, I know there are still people biking to work in this weather.  I applaud them, but nothing about biking in snow, slush and ice makes me think happy thoughts.

Yesterday, I went snowshoeing with my husband and some friends.  I was afraid it would suck - mainly because I've wanted to try it for so long.  My rental snowshoes were too small for my size so I sunk in the snow.  One of our friends knocked me over and I ended up covered in snow - which then resulted in me being slightly cold for the rest of the walk.  And our dog decided it was a great day to not listen at the off-leash park so we looked like those dog owners.

Yes.  We snowshoe'd at a dog park.  It's basically a big open field with a path around the outside and a bunch of pristine snow in the middle so it was a perfect place to try out a new bit of exercise AND the dogs got some exercise as well - they do love bounding through the deep snow.

I even did a little jog in the rental 'shoes and felt like it might be something I could get behind at some point.  They do make running snowshoes that are narrower and a slightly different shape to make it easier to run well in them.

It looks like we'll be buying some snowshoes in the coming months. If you haven't tried it, you might want to give it a shot.  And no matter how nice the day appears to be, dress appropriately.  My legs got a bit cold even with a pair of running tights under my jeans - a combination that's often warm enough for a walk in some of our warmer winter temps (around freezing).

No comments:

Post a Comment