Sunday, July 12, 2015

The introvert as a runner



I'm an introvert.  I don't tend to like people all that much and when it comes to running it's easier for me to run slowly by myself than feel like people are judging me for being the slow.

I've been reading more and more about how running with someone can be a benefit, particularly for the slower runner.  They pick up their pace while the faster runner gets a low intensity workout and you both get some social interaction.

Social interaction, something I'm not all that good with most of the time.  Part of why I love running so much is that I can do it without having to interact socially.  It's how I recharge.  I love that time by myself, listening to myself breath, listening to my feet on the pavement, listening to the birds.  It's magic.  Pure magic.

So yesterday, when my Mom wanted to come with me on my run, my first thought was "Nooooooooo!" While nodding my head and saying "Sure. Let's go!"  I dreaded it.  She isn't a runner, but she is much faster than I am even as a walker. She is a power walker.

Then something amazing happened - partly because I didn't want to be judged for my speed, but also partly because I was busy and concentrating on something other than how my legs felt like lead - but I ran/walked faster than I normally do.  Much faster.

Sure it was flatter than my normal run, but 2 weeks ago I ran it and I was a good minute/mile slower than this week.

So there you have it.  Maybe there is a benefit to getting out there and running with other people.  Maybe I will get something out of the running room classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment