Friday, July 17, 2015

Fixing my running problem

There was a time when I thought I could consistently get up at 4:30am to run.  Lately, it seems I'm more likely to hit the snooze button (or just reset the alarm completely) rather than actually get up and run.

And when I get home from work, I've convinced myself of three things:
1.  I'm too tired to run,
2.  I don't have enough time
3.  it's too hot/cold/rainy/windy/sunny/cloudy to run.

Yeah.  This is not a recipe for running success.

So last night, after dinner, I dragged my butt out into the pretty much perfect running weather.  I'd love to say that I was faster than ever.  I wasn't.  The first mile, as always, was a liar and it felt crappy.  It's also the mile where I do all of my uphill so there's that.  The second mile was infinitely better and by the third mile, I actually felt like I could complete three miles.  A look at the clouds surrounding town made me change my mind.  I ran about 2.7 miles.  My GPS had a bit of a hiccup and I ran through some houses on the map so I'm not really sure how far I went. Technology is great.  Until it isn't.

So, I'm trying to figure out how I can fix this motivation problem I have.  Once I get out, it isn't so bad, but getting up off the couch is pretty hard sometimes.  Running in the morning is clearly not working.  Running after work might work better if I plan for it.

I also have another option of running at lunch time, but I hate getting back to the office and having a bright red face.  And lately I've had SO many meetings that there's a good chance I can't just hide behind my computer screen.

So.  Next week, I'm going to plan for evening runs, even in the heat.

If that fails, I'm going to do a lunch time run, an evening run and a morning (weekend) run and see how that goes.

I want to run.  I love running.  I don't get it.

1 comment:

  1. I run in the mornings and pretty much every morning is a chore to get dressed because I just don't want to get up and get moving. I just try really hard to not think about ...well...anything, except what is right in front of me, clothes, toothbrush, shoes...go before you talk yourself out of it. I'm always glad I went but the 20 minutes it takes me to get ready are tough. Unless it's a weekend and I've slept in. ;) With a new routine the first week or two are always the hardest. Don't give up!

    ReplyDelete