Thursday, May 21, 2015

Paleo, Low-Carb, Low-Fat, Vegan, Vegetarian, Meatatarian - Let's Talk Diet For a Moment

No matter what your current eating plan is, you probably don't follow your country's Food Guide.  You know, that colourful, pyramid-shaped teaching tool that you were probably handed in a health class at some point during your education.  Do they still do that?  Am I showing my age?

Wait, what? It isn't a pyramid anymore?  WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN?

Seriously, most people do not follow that - in both a healthy way aaaaaand in unhealthy ways.

First, I'd like to share a post (an old post) by an Ontario Obesity doctor about the Canada Food Guide revisions way back in 2006.  He just recently re-linked it as Canada is in the process of once again updating their food guide (newsflash: they are reconsidering juice's value as a fruit/vegetable serving.) and he has been involved in the process before.  A process he's highly critical of.

Canada's Food Guide to Unhealthy Eating

Read that.  It'll take awhile.  Don't worry, I'll be here when you get back.

As much as it pains me to give up my old delusions that juice is a fruit and froot loops are a grain, I have to agree with the man.

Don't get me wrong.  I grew up on a farm.



My history, my people, are involved heavily in the agriculture industry in both grain and livestock.  I grew up eating meat and potatoes and wheat by the handful as it ran from the truck into the bin.  I also grew up eating a LOT of white flour products which was what we did back then.  In the old days.



I like a good steak as much as the next person and love a hamburger fresh off the grill in the summer.  It's an adjustment to evaluate what I eat and really think about the health value of that cookie, muffin or toaster waffle (hint: none).

Yet, the more I go down the path of weight loss, running and healthy eating, the more I have to accept that the old way just wasn't working and I need to change.

Finally, if you looked at the above post and thought it was WAAAAAYYYYY too much reading and you just want to know what information YOU need to know to get through your day while focusing on health and/or weight loss, read this post from Dr. Freedhoff

What Can You Do?

Ahhh, there's my pyramid all nice and shiny.  And pointy.

Step away from the juice.  Step far away from the processed foods (white flour, junk food, etc) and enjoy the occasional steak, but not every day.  This makes total sense, doesn't it?

Pay attention to your calories.  Get some exercise, but don't overestimate how many calories you're burning.






No comments:

Post a Comment