Sunday, May 24, 2015

Lake Mead 1/2 day Kayak adventure


It's been about a month since we went kayaking on Lake Mead, NV.  I'm always a little worried when booking these things at my size because I'm convinced they won't be able to accommodate my size.

That fear has kept me from enjoying a lot of activities over the years.  The fact is that when you look at the pictures provided by the tour guides, the people enjoying the activity are a) young and b) at a healthy weight.


It's safe to say that while we're fit, we're not at a healthy weight.  When booking the tour (with Desert Adventures), we had to give them weight and height information so they could pick the right kayaks for us.  My husband overestimated my height so the kayak was slightly too long for my short little legs.


But it worked.


As for the tour, I thought the half day on Lake Mead would be boring.  Their other tours involve the Colorado River and seem like they'd be fantastic experiences.  But on Lake Mead, we got to Kayak around the Boulder Islands.


We stopped on one of the islands for lunch in a cave and some pictures of us not on the water.


Once I had cancer, I realized I'd been letting my fear and my size get in the way of doing the things I wanted to do.  This trip to Vegas had us doing a lot of things we wouldn't normally have done and the kayaking trip is easily the most memorable experience we had.


Still recovering from chemotherapy, I had to take a break on the walk up to the cave, but I'm really glad that I went all the way up.



I almost look like I know what I'm doing with that paddle, don't I?



We even got to see the old paddleboat out on the lake.

Another kayak trip is on the list for our next trip to Las Vegas (or anywhere with water, really).  And we're looking at taking some lessons now that we're back home.  If you've been wanting to try, you should absolutely give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment